Hey y'all! I promise I didn't forget about you. Last week was spring break and I didn't have any internet for part of the time to post and the other half of the time was hectic (it's wedding season!). I apologize that I haven't posted for the past two weeks!
This week I want to talk to you about majors/minors. Some of y'all are blessed and know EXACTLY what you want to do. Some know what they think they're going to do. Others have an idea on what they want to do and the rest of y'all are lost and have NO idea what you wanna do. And that's okay.
If you know exactly what you want to do (I'm in this group) then good. Find a way to get involved and plugged into your major. If you are wanting to do business, join a club with other business majors. If you're in education, try to find a job or internship dealing with kids. Not only will it help prepare you, but it throw many opportunities your way later on.
If you are one who isn't 100% sure on what you want as a job, but you're getting your degree in something: do the same thing listed above. It will help you know what you can do with your degree and what job best suits you. Who knows.. you might end up changing your major. That's perfectly okay! Do what you love!
If you have an idea about what you want to do, but aren't sure how to go about it that's okay as well! There are many counselors and people here to help you. One of my friends is combining 3 different majors to make up one major (no she's not triple majoring, just taking bits from each one to make up her degree). Talk to your counselor to see what they can do for you to guarantee that you're getting the degree of your dreams and that you're not wasting your time and money to get a degree you can't do anything with.
Lastly, if you have no idea where to begin or what you want to do....that's somewhat okay. There are many opportunities here at Auburn that will help you decide what you want to do. They have little fairs and other things that have people from each major there to tell you more about their program. There are many many different options that you can choose from- it's very overwhelming! Like I said before, talk to your counselor to see how they can help you decide...that's what they are there for.
Some of you are brave and courageous and a little crazy and are double majoring. Kudos to you. That is a good option if you are wanting to go to law school. I'm not double majoring, but a few of my friends are. Just know that it is a good thing, but a very stressful and overwhelming thing. If you are strong willed and very motivated then you can make it happen. It is also very time consuming.
Others want to major in one thing and minor in something else, which is really cool. I'm majoring in Special Education and minoring in HDFS (human development and family studies). I am doing that so I will be able to understand and help parents of the kids I work with. It's kind of reinforcing my major. Minors can also be a fun thing to do because you take classes that are different than your major...it can be a relief. It opens up more opportunities for jobs, too!
One thing I encourage all of you to do is to think about your major and what you will be able to do with it once you graduate. Can you see yourself doing that for the next 10-20 years? Will you be happy? If you answered no to the last two questions, then you might want to reconsider your major before you begin college.
Good luck on your future major! Have a good week!
xoxoxo,
Dayna
No comments:
Post a Comment