Sunday, February 16, 2014

Roommates


Hi all! 
First of all I would like to thank you for reading this! I hope I will be able to help you. Today, as stated above, I will be writing about roommates.Some of you are going to room or house with your bffl while some of you are going to have a random roommate. Either way you kind of don't know what to expect so I'm going to clarify some expectations so you're not disappointed.
 Expectation #1: You'll see you roommate all the time.

This is a lie. A big lie. At the beginning of the semester you might see them often, but as it goes on it might seem as though you're living by yourself. There are 4 of us in the apartment and I hardly see any of them. They all are involved in other activities and they have different classes so it's difficult for your schedules to match up. Yes, you might try to hang out, but remember that they might have a test coming up or you have to attend a class meeting. Definitely make plans in advanced, but don't be disappointed when you move in together thinking you're going to bond and be together all the time. In dorms you will see them more often, don't worry. I'm not trying to tell you that you'll never see them! This was just a disappointment for me when I was expecting to hang out all the time, but now I'm used to it and overwhelmed by hanging out with other people, studying and other various activities. So I don't want you to feel the same way I did.
 Expectation #2: I already know my roomie and we're never gonna have drama.
L.O.L. There is going to be drama. It's inevitable. You might have practically lived at each other's house all summer long, but this is different. You will be going through different things and stress levels be going haywire and someone is going to be ticked off and then the yelling begins. Things aren't going to work out 100% of the time. If you do know your roommate make sure you do talk things out before hand so there is no confusion on what ticks you off or what you don't like. I had this problem at the beginning. One of my roommates did something that just really ticked me off, but they had no idea that it would so we ended up having an hour talk laying out what we expected from one another and that we needed to communicate to each other when something is wrong.
Side note: this is good for people who do or do not know their roommate. Talk things over, have rules, lay down the law. If you don't want them eating your food make sure you tell them. If you want to study ask them nicely not to have friends over late. But remember to compromise and respect what they have to say and what they want as well.
 Expectation #3: They are either going to be my best friend or worst enemy. 
This is true. There is no in between....especially in a dorm room. You will see them more often in a dorm, which gives you more time to either bond or become super annoyed. I've seen so many people become best friends with their roommates and I think that is the coolest thing! My sister-in-law's maid of honor was her freshman roommate! On the other hand my brother has had the worst of luck with roommates. One was super messy, another one snored super loud, the last one never heard his alarm go off so my brother was sitting there for 15 minutes about to go insane because it wouldn't go off. Ha, poor kid. If that does happen, just go and talk to your RA about swapping rooms at semester or try working something out. I haven't been on that one roommate website, but I heard that it does well with matching up people! 

The two biggest things I would have to recommend would be communication and compromise. Communicate what you would like and compromise with what they want. Help one another out! Tag team! My biggest thing is, "if you unload the dishwasher, I'll load it!" I'm too short to reach everything, so I make the taller ones put up the dishes ;) This works with cleaning, too. If you share food make sure you do this so you're not always the one buying milk. (milk goes fast in this house and it's expensive, so we all take turns buying it.)
Remember that it's not always going to be your way, but also remember that they are a person as well and they have feelings and expectations from you as well. Don't go psycho and be like: Don't eat my stuff. Don't touch my stuff. Don't bring people over late.
Make sure you suggest things nicely...it will go over better that way and they will probably be more willing to do what you ask of them. 
Good luck finding a roommate! Trust me, they can be the best..cause I have the best :) 
THANKS FOR READING! If you have any questions, comments, or have a recommendation on what I should write next week make sure you comment below!
xoxox,
Dayna

No comments:

Post a Comment