I LOVE that y'all are starting to reply and ask questions! Two people pointed out two very important things that I've barely/haven't covered: Move in day and parking. I did a little thing about move in day last week, but I will try to go into more detail this week.
Move in day:
Imagine every dorm room. There's a lot. Now multiply that by two. That's a lot of students. Now add in two parents/relatives per student. That's A TON of people. Now imagine them all trying to haul things inside- everyone using the stairs and elevators. It's 90 degrees outside. There is no parking/limited time to get everything out of the car and into your dorm. Yes, it's VERY hectic. Auburn does a good job trying to organize it, but you can only organize it so much. I haven't lived in a dorm, but I've helped friends so I've witnessed it. Auburn will email you (if they haven't already) and tell you your move in day and time. People rushing will arrive a week earlier, but it's still hectic no matter what.
Once you get here at the correct time Auburn will pretty much direct you on where to park so you can unload. You will have to go and check in to get your key. That should be (don't quote me) in the main lobby of your dorm. My advice is not to pack a lot of small bags to carry in- try to pack larger tubs of items or even the clear see through smaller storage containers that can fit under your bed. It will take less trips and it won't be as bad/aggravating. See previous posts on what to pack/what not to pack. After you're done unpacking its pretty chill and you can say goodbye to everyone who has helped you move in and then you are on your own- GOOD LUCK!
Sorry if I'm not much help on this...I've just never had to experience it myself.
Parking:
LOL. LOLOLOL. Parking is a complete mess, unless you live in the village dorms. I'll post a picture below of where each parking zone can park. If you live in the hill or quad dorms- you're out of luck. There is no hope of you having close parking. More than likely you'll park in west parking which is out in the boonies. Weekends are a free for all, but most people will get there before you, so you'll end up not having a close spot. Village people have it made because their parking is right outside of their dorms...so be thankful.
A and B zone parking are for handicap, professors and other employees of the university. They are the closest ones to the university and the parking decks. Then there are C and PC parking. PC is a lot closer than C. PC is by the rec center (There are other ones, but that is the most popular). C zone is the farthest away and you might as well ride a bus instead of getting a C zone pass because it's just so far. Plus it's a lot cheaper. The prices (I think) are $100 for C zone and then you can be put into a lottery for PC zone for $150. They are chosen at random. The cheapest thing to do, in my opinion is ride the bus. If you live in the dorms, just accept the pass that they give you (You will get a RH pass which is out in the middle of nowhere aka west parking). Ride the bus on Friday afternoons to get your car and try to find a closer spot that way if you need to run errands or something its not 2 miles away. If you live in an apartment that has tigertransit line that runs (most do), then just take the bus. It's less of a walk to the campus and the cost already included into your tuition.
HOWEVER, my brother, who is a kineseology major has a C zone parking because it's right by his building. Remember he is a senior, though, and all of his classes are in the same building. If you have classes on the main part of campus I wouldn't recommend getting a pass.
During the week day (7am-5pm) you cannot park on campus unless you have a pass. After 5pm and on weekends there are no parking limits. Parking meters won't be put into effect and any zone is free. There are certain spots during the day that you can snag that are no parking zones, like behind chipotle and subway there are some free spots. Just make sure you read signs and make sure the curb isn't yellow: If the curb IS yellow or if there is a sign that says "24 hour towing zone" DO NOT PARK THERE. THEY WILL TOW YOU. If you park in a 15 minute parking zone with your flashers on- Make sure you're only there for 15 minutes. We have parking ninjas that will get ya. You think I'm kidding....try it...I dare you. They will catch you if you don't have a pass or are in a different parking zone, too. Trust me, when I say ninjas I mean it. You never see them lurking, but anyone breaking the rules ALWAYS gets caught and ALWAYS will get a ticket. No if, ands, or buts about it.
Apartment parking: make sure if you live in an apartment find out where guest parking is and tell anyone who is going to visit you. If you have a friend that lives in an apartment, make sure you know where guest parking is. The tow trucks are always towing people...and it's not cheap, either.
Just make sure you follow the rules and you should be good. If you have any more questions please let me know!
Or go to http://www.auburn.edu/administration/parking_transit/parking/parking-map.php for more parking information

No comments:
Post a Comment