Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I'M SO SORRY!

Hi all :)
  First of all I want to apologize for missing so much! I had finals and then I had to drive home (12 hours) then a wedding, so I've been busy. I'm sorry! I've had lots of stuff to think about, though. Today I'm going to discuss using your resources.
  One thing I want to stress is to definitely use your resources that the university gives to you.  Not only are most free, but it's very helpful and beneficial for you.
  The first thing I want to mention that Auburn has is the Miller Writing Center. This is located in the library and it is a great resource! You can go sign up or make an appointment and they read over a paper you have written and give you some advice about it. Don't completely abuse this resource, but it is definitely a good thing to go to before you turn in a final paper. I haven't used the writing center yet because I've not had a writing class yet, but I've heard great reviews about the Miller Writing Center- check it out! Not only does it help you, but I heard that they e-mail your professor letting them know that you went there and some professors give you extra credit for doing that!
  Use your advisor! Mine is actually awful, so I sought the help of another one, but not all advisors are terrible. If you have any questions or concerns, most are willing to help you out and will guide you in the right direction. Don't be scared to go and see them, that is what they are there for! They will definitely be a resource that will benefit you more then you can imagine. Yet again, don't abuse it by being psycho and go to see them once a week, but make sure you go to see  them to make sure you are on the right track and doing what you need to do.
  The next thing is SI sessions. I don't remember if I mentioned this to you or not. SI sessions are student led and are very helpful. My biology and history classes both had SI sessions and they were very beneficial. They handed out mini tests to study and helped answer any questions I had about the material we learned in class. They write down your name every time you attend and at the end of the semester and give it to the professor. Some professors give extra credit for this or they will bump up your grade because they saw that you were trying your best to comprehend the information and that you were being a good student.
  If you don't use SI sessions- use your friends to help study! Make friends in classes so later on you can get a study group together. Everyone takes different notes so it's really helpful to put together all of your notes to compare. I did this for my biology final and I ended up making an A on the exam. We also had fun doing it. We made pancakes, laughed, but still studied. It was nice having people to rely on when I missed class, too. There were a few times I was sick (or "sick") and couldn't go to class so I would just text one of my friends and ask them to send me the notes that they take. They could rely on me to do the same thing for them as well.
  I've told you multiple times about talking to your professor. So use that resource, too. See previous posts for more information- or leave a question on here or message me on facebook :)
  If you have a rough time in a certain subject and the previous resources don't help then there are two other options. One of the two is going to the library and signing up for a study buddy. It is normally an older student that does very well with that subject and they will coach you through it for free, which is really nice. The second option is to hire a tutor. I see multiple tutors around the library. I heard one say they run $10-$15 per session. That could get expensive, but they sounded like they were very helpful. So that could be a last resort if you need. Don't be ashamed if you struggle, accept it and get help. Not going to lie, my brother is my ultimate resource :)
  USE YOUR TIGER CARD! This is one resource many people over use, but there are some that don't use it at all. I've talked previously about the tiger card so make sure you read previous posts if you haven't read about it.
  The language lab on the third floor of the Haley center is wonderful. It is quiet, open from 7-7 and has many computers. If you need to print something it is 7 cents per paper printed. It can add up and get expensive, but it is totally worth it if you don't have a printer or if you are on campus and need to print something out immediately. Same goes for Copy Cat in the Student Center. There you can make copies or print something out. It is more popular and there are less computers than the language lab, but either way it gets the job done. There is also the bookstore in the Haley Center that can print or fax things. The last place is the Study ER in the library- you can print stuff and fax stuff from there as well.
  I think this is all the resources I can think of right now. I hope this is helpful! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask on here or message me on facebook...I'd LOVE to hear from you! You can also suggest anything you would want to hear about/ want me to talk about.
xoxoxox,
Dayna

No comments:

Post a Comment